Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Perseverance

One of the most important (and basic) things I teach my art students is to persevere!
When making a piece of art we usually start with a great idea. Then we start working, collecting information, sketching, choosing colours, deciding on composition, etc, and realise it's going to be harder then we thought. At some point we come to a stage where the art piece sucks. The stage where we messed up, struggle to continue, and wonder whether to throw the art piece away or stop doing art.
Only perseverance will get us through this stage. It's the crucial point of winning or losing - to learn or to stand still. After continuing, the art piece might or might not match 'the great idea', but I believe pushing through is one the most rewarding and constructive processes of an artist! One that makes the artist!
Because I know this proces very well it became easier for me to keep on going. Messing up became a normal part of the proces of making a painting. I embrace it!

Is life not exactly the same?
I believe it is, but am not sure I have reached that place yet to embrace the mess. Nevertheless I'm determined to finish this 'piece of art'. Eventually it might or might not match with the expectations which I had before, but it will be good!

1 comment:

MOREthanHUMAN said...

Great post. The question is, how do we become people who persevere? a friend of mine suggests there is a prior step.